Rules & Constitution
League Rules & Constitution
Below are the rules and constitution of the Oxfordshire Cross Country League.
League Rules (last updated 9th September 2018)
General League Rules
- All member clubs of the League must be affiliated to the national governing body – England Athletics (EA).
- The Entry Fee to the League is based on the number of participants in the previous season as follows: £80 for clubs with up to 25 participants; £130 for clubs with 26–79 participants; £180 for clubs with 80 or more participants.
- Only fully paid up members of the clubs entered in the League will be eligible to compete.
- All athletes must be a member of an EA affiliated club.
- All athletes of age 11 years and above must be registered as paid–up EA affiliated athletes. Athlete affiliations and EA registrations will be checked.
- U9 athletes, aged 7 on the age date (1st September), must be 8 years of age on the day of the fixture to comply with the League’s minimum age rule.
- On–the–day entries for athletes aged 8, 9 or 10 years only are permitted using the club’s ‘spare’ race numbers provided for that purpose.
- No entries will be accepted on the day for athletes aged 11 years or above.
- At the discretion of the competing club, U17 athletes may run in the senior race (subject to it being shorter than the maximum distance permitted under UKA rules). They will not score for the individual senior prize.
- Bona–fide second claim members may compete but these must be registered with the League by the deadline for entries for the first round. Un–registered second claim members may compete but will be treated as guest runners.
- Unattached runners are not permitted to run.
- Guests may be permitted to run with the prior permission of the League Manager provided they are a member of an EA affiliated club and are registered as paid–up EA affiliated athlete, but will not be eligible for prizes.
- All entries for each fixture are to be received by the Sunday evening (i.e. 6 days) prior to the next fixture.
- In the event of a change of club it is the responsibility of the athlete to ensure the proper transfer procedure has been completed as clearly set out on the EA website – see the Team Managers’ Guide for more details.
- No competitor may compete for more than one club in a season.
- All competitors aged 11 years of age and upwards on the day of the race must wear club vests. No vest – no score. Note: Athletes aged 8, 9 or 10 years of age on the day of the race are not required to wear club vests.
- All competitors must wear a race number – please refer to the Race Numbers section below. This number will be assigned in conjunction with the results person on the League Committee.
- The age qualification date to determine the athlete’s age category for the season is the 1st September immediately prior to the commencement of the current season.
- Runners must run in their correct age category (with the exception of U17s under rule 9).
- Overall individual awards will be based on the best four out of five results achieved by each competitor i.e. to qualify, competitors must complete at least four of the five rounds.
- Competitors switching between clubs within the League during the season will keep individual and team scores prior to the club switch but will be treated as guest runners thereafter, i.e. they will not score further in either the individual or team competitions.
- In the event of a fixture cancellation the overall individual awards will be based on the best three out of four results achieved by each competitor.
- Any number of runners from member clubs may compete.
- For the purposes of team results several age categories will be combined in each of the races 6–9 (please see section ‘Race Day Format’ below).
- Only one U17 athlete may score for the senior team and may not score for another team in the same season.
- The winner of each race will score 1 point, the 2nd finisher 2 points, and so on.
- The winning team will be the one scoring the lowest number of points.
- Team points are calculated by totalling the points scored by each team in groups of seven for Race 8 (men) and groups of three for the other team races (Races 3–7 and 9).
- Any incomplete A team will have the team score made up by adding to that total the appropriate number of last finisher + 1 scores to make the full team.
- The same method of scoring will apply to all other teams (i.e. B, C, etc. teams) except that all such teams will require more than half the necessary number of finishers (i.e. a minimum of 4 runners in Race 8 or 2 runners in Races 3–7) to qualify as a team and count in the results.
- Any runners wearing earplugs/headphones will be disqualified.
- Runners appearing at the start line without a race number will not be permitted to start.
- Runners finishing without a number (either worn or held visibly) will not be placed.
- Guest runners will wear special numbers identifying them as such.
The above rules will be enforced on the day by the Race Referee.
Guide for Team Managers
Team Managers: PLEASE refer to the Team Managers’ Guide provided under the Resources section of this website.
We once again ask for your support in applying these rules in order to facilitate the smooth running of the League.
Guide for Race Directors
Race Directors: PLEASE refer to the Race Directors’ Guide provided under the Resources section of this website.
Thank you very much for hosting an OXL fixture. We will do our best to support you in any aspect of the fixture organisation you may require.
As approved at the 2018 AGM team promotions/relegations for the season–end 2018–19 results onwards will operate on a straight 2 up/2 down basis (i.e. in each division the top two teams will be promoted and the bottom two relegated irrespective of points scored) at the end of each season.
- The League’s amended Constitution incorporating the amendments proposed, voted upon and approved at the 2018 AGM.